Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Trapped/The Final Countdown
            I was stupid and careless for not checking the bolt before I came out. I glanced down at the timer on my phone. Four minutes. I had four minutes to get back in the house, or else the food would be over cooked and start burning. I looked helplessly around the garage, but there was nothing I could do to get back. I considered calling someone, but I was home alone and I would have to wait out here in the garage. With the rats.
            I leaned against the door, thinking that it was the end, and that I would die soon. I checked my phone again. Three minutes. I had to hurry. I tried to clear my brain long enough to think of something. I glanced around, and caught a glimpse of the extra house key that my parents keep in a container out of reach. I tried to grab it, but I was too short. There had to be a way to get it down. Then I saw my ski poles. I used one of the poles to move the container down, till at last I could grab it. I let myself back inside, so relieved and terrified all at the same time. I checked my phone. The timer read
Three
Two
One
I ran to the pot just in time, turned off the burner, and breathed a sigh of relief. I was alive.

2 comments:

  1. Nice slice! This sort of thing has never happened to me, but I know some similar stories, most of which are highly amusing. Looking forward to reading more of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intense. Glad you got back in before the food burned!

    ReplyDelete